In this episode of “The Gussie,” we take on the taboo subject of design budgets. When should designers talk budgets with their clients? If designing for yourself, how do you balance your goal of finding quality items with the temptation of an online sale? Are there really any great “steals” out there? We also lay out some hard-learned facts about the design business, including our thoughts on childproofing, shipping costs, online purchasing, designer pet peeves, and the essential ingredients for a well-designed home. Get ready to hear our design industry bare-all!
The Cold. Hard. Facts.
- Nothing is childproof. Period.
- Shipping and delivery is never free. Never.
- If you buy something from an unverified online retailer, it will show up damaged or wrong. If it doesn’t, consider it a small miracle.
- Treating your designer poorly is the fastest way to double your expense and get half the expertise.
- A well-designed home does not fix an unhappy one.